Seq21Oct13: Mailed 21 October 2013.
The start of the Mechanical MOOC A Gentle Introduction to Python is here! We begin our journey with a reading, a video, and some exercises from Codecademy before tackling the first homework assignment. You should try to finish this material in the first week.
- Preface, Chapters 1 and 2, section 4.12, sections 7.1, 7.2, 7.4, 7.6, from How to Think Like a Computer Scientist.
- Lecture 2 and Recitation 1 from 6.00SC Introduction to Computer Science
- Python Units 1 and 2 Codecademy
- Complete sections 1.1 – 1.4 from Handout 1 of 6.189 A Gentle Introduction to Computer Science
- Please Note: The “homework 1.py” file refered to in the above handout is available on the assignments page of the 6.189 course materials, and is labled “Code template (PY)” on that page. you can also download it here
- Complete sections 1.9 – 1.12 from Written Exercises 1 of 6.189 A Gentle Introduction to Computer Science
Let your learning style be your guide with the materials. If you like to learn by doing, dive into the Codecademy exercises; if you are a reader, start with the text; or if you prefer a lecture-style introduction, begin with the videos. Once you are done with all three, move on to the homework.
Remember, if at any time you have questions, go over to OpenStudy or email your small group. And remember to hand out medals on OpenStudy to anyone who helps you out!
Mechanical MOOC leaves you with something of a chuckle….
Thank you kindly for your attention,
– The Mechanical MOOC
The Mechanical MOOC’s A Gentle Introduction to Python is a collaboration between Peer 2 Peer University, MIT OpenCourseWare, OpenStudy, and Codecademy. For this course, Peer 2 Peer University has developed an email scheduler that coordinates student activity across the participating sites to facilitate collaborative learning. This email was generated by the scheduler. A full archive of emails for this course sequence is available here. For more information, please visit http://mechanicalmooc.org. For questions regarding the logistics of the course, please e-mail email@example.com.