Seq21Oct13: Sent 8 October 2013.
Members of Mechanical MOOC nation,
The Mechanical MOOC course A Gentle Introduction to Python will begin on October 21st. Just weeks from now the gears will begin to turn! Here’s some idea of what to expect:
How It Works.
Beginning October 21st, once a week, Mechanical MOOC will send an assignment message to your inbox. Each message will reveal great resources that exist on the open web. No new content is being created for this experiment–rather, the Mechanical MOOC will be combining open materials to make relevant packages just for you.
Mechanical MOOC warns that this is an experiment–the content from the different tools may not sync up exactly. We encourage to you explore the resources MOOC gives you, and the open web.
In each message, the MOOC will signal your attention toward some combination of:
- Selected readings from the course text, How to Think Like a Computer Scientist
- Video from MIT’s 6.00 Introduction to Computer Science and Programming
- Exercises from Codecademy
- Homework sets from 6.189 A Gentle Introduction to Programming Using Python
And you always want to go to:
- OpenStudy’s forums if you have questions, are struggling or just want to chat with other MOOCers.
The Mechanical MOOC will present the materials in a recommended order, but really you can attack them in whatever order you prefer–though it will almost always make sense to do the homework last.
>>> Important: The Mechanical MOOC will not grade homework. In most cases you can check your own work using the Python interpreter. If you get stuck or can’t come up with a correct answer, ask for help on OpenStudy. Remember, the goal here is to become a great programmer, not to submit a bunch of correct answers.
What I Do If I Encounter a Problem?
Mechanical MOOC encourages you to see problems as learning opportunities. To wit:
- If there’s a technical problem with the site, email the Mechanical MOOC at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you’re stuck and want a quick question answered, consult OpenStudy’s forums.
- If you’re looking to discuss problems or work through them with other people, think about signing up for a small group in the first week of class (more info on this to follow).
Soon, young MOOCians, this shall be you:
Mechanical MOOC thanks you for your valor thus far,
The Mechanical MOOC’s A Gentle Introduction to Python is a collaboration between Peer 2 Peer University, MIT OpenCourseWare, OpenStudy, and Codecademy. For this course, Peer 2 Peer University has developed an email scheduler that coordinates student activity across the participating sites to facilitate collaborative learning. This email was generated by the scheduler. A full archive of emails for this course sequence is available here. For more information, please visit http://mechanicalmooc.org. For questions regarding the logistics of the course, please e-mail email@example.com.