Seq15Oct12: Mailed October 15, 2012.
The start of the Mechanical MOOC A Gentle Introduction to Python is here! We begin our journey with a reading, a video, and some exercises from Codecademy before tackling the first homework assignment. You should try to finish this material in the first week.
- Preface, Chapters 1 and 2, section 4.12, sections 7.1, 7.2, 7.4, 7.6, from How to Think Like a Computer Scientist.http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/thinkCSpy/html/index.html
- Lecture 2, (Optional: Recitation 1) from 6.00SC Introduction to Computer Science http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-00sc-introduction-to-computer-science-and-programming-spring-2011/unit-1/lecture-2-core-elements-of-a-program/
- Python Units 1 and 2, Codecademy http://www.codecademy.com/tracks/python
- Complete sections 1.1 – 1.4 from Handout 1 of 6.189 A Gentle Introduction to Computer Sciencehttp://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-189-a-gentle-introduction-to-programming-using-python-january-iap-2011/assignments/MIT6_189IAP11_hw1.pdf
- Complete sections 1.9 – 1.12 from Written Exercises 1 of 6.189 A Gentle Introduction to Computer Sciencehttp://ocw.mit.edu/courses/electrical-engineering-and-computer-science/6-189-a-gentle-introduction-to-programming-using-python-january-iap-2011/assignments/MIT6_189IAP11_hw1_written.pdf
Let your learning style be your guide with the materials. If you like to learn by doing, dive into the Codecademy exercises; if you are a reader, start with the text; or if you prefer a lecture-style introduction, begin with the videos. Once you are done with all three, move on to the homework.
Remember, if at any time you have questions, go over to OpenStudy or email your small group.
Mechanical MOOC leaves you with something of a chuckle….
Mechanical MOOC kindly thanks you for your attention,
— The Mechanical MOOC
The Mechanical MOOC’s A Gentle Introduction to Python is a collaboration between Peer 2 Peer University, MIT OpenCourseWare, OpenStudy, andCodecademy. For this course, Peer 2 Peer University has developed an email scheduler that coordinates student activity across the participating sites to facilitate collaborative learning. This email was generated by the scheduler. For more information, please visit http://mechanicalmooc.org. For questions regarding the logistics of the course, please e-mail email@example.com.